A few things about Caleb Hawley. He can SING. He is hilarious. He can play guitar like a mofo. He's a Pisces. He's from Wisconsin. Caleb is a Berklee grad and now lives in New York. I played a show in Buffalo with Caleb last year, and the most memorable moment by far was his closing the show. He put his guitar down and plugged in his iPod and proceeded to do a musical theatre - esque torch song about how to buy his album.
About a week ago I caught Caleb playing a cover show at Caffe Vivaldi, a Lady Gaga cover show. This show was complete with costumes, wigs, dancing, and fake blood for the Paparazzi number.
The house was PACKED, and everyone had the best time ever. I absolutely loved it and I was completely sober. His current album, Steps is available on his website, and his next show in New York is at the Living Room on June 11th.
I asked Caleb what the world should know about him, he told me this:
""Man, anything the world should know. Geez. Music or life?
My musical hero is Randy Newman. I started off rockin' metallica, but then drifted towards blues music after being given a keb mo cd for christmas. My first performance was a medley of Nirvana and Metallica hits at my 6th grade talent show. I headbanged so hard that my my head nearly snapped off. I've failed at American Idol twice... forgot the lyrics in both cases. hmmm.. In highschool I turned into a Jazz Snob, and thought that most music was "shallow" unless it has 79.8 chords in every song. I came to the realization when I was about 22 1/2 that I love Pop music, and it's a good thing because jazz is dead. Now as a songwriter, I try to be accessible while still keeping some complexity. That's my motto. Not really.
More than anything else, my goal is to put on a good live show. Music is cool, but entertaining is probably a bigger passion of mine. I never get nervous to play my songs, I just get nervous that the crowd won't laugh at my jokes.. ."
Follow Caleb on Twitter.
I asked Caleb what the world should know about him, he told me this:
""Man, anything the world should know. Geez. Music or life?
My musical hero is Randy Newman. I started off rockin' metallica, but then drifted towards blues music after being given a keb mo cd for christmas. My first performance was a medley of Nirvana and Metallica hits at my 6th grade talent show. I headbanged so hard that my my head nearly snapped off. I've failed at American Idol twice... forgot the lyrics in both cases. hmmm.. In highschool I turned into a Jazz Snob, and thought that most music was "shallow" unless it has 79.8 chords in every song. I came to the realization when I was about 22 1/2 that I love Pop music, and it's a good thing because jazz is dead. Now as a songwriter, I try to be accessible while still keeping some complexity. That's my motto. Not really.
More than anything else, my goal is to put on a good live show. Music is cool, but entertaining is probably a bigger passion of mine. I never get nervous to play my songs, I just get nervous that the crowd won't laugh at my jokes.. ."
You're catching me at a good time btw. I've been up for 22 hours straight, and I'm in the middle of a sleep drug study. Haven't seen the light of day for 30 something hours. I need human contact by now, so thanks for writing."
Follow Caleb on Twitter.
No comments:
Post a Comment