Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Waiting Is The Hardest Part




I think you can all relate to the feeling of spinning your wheels; you've realized who you are, what you want, and you're just waiting for that return letter from the universe in tangible form. Whether it's a relationship or a job or a new place to live. It sometimes feels like - OK, I've got it figured out, please DEAR GOD, just deliver. And you wait. And you keep working. And you wait, And you keep working.

   For some (read: few) people it happens almost instantly. I've seen it happen, I have seen performers strike proverbial gold - get an off broadway show (neat)  fresh out of college, their parents still paying their rent (hey, you starving artist, you), which gets picked up to broadway  (WHAT?!), then right on to another broadway show (WTF?!?!?!)  then onto a series of opportunities that that they don't fuck up (crossing my fingers : ). I've also seen people work for years with nothing to show unless they were smart and saved their day job money. Another circumstance was a young man, a touring actor in his twenties, throughout Europe - as well as a published playwright who by his thirties he was a bellman at a hotel living in Bedstuy writing a screen play about a bunch of other bellman doing drugs and blowing each others brains out. I think everyone else is in some degree of this "epitome of" to zero success range.

 Regardless.

There's no formula to being a "successful" artist. Even the term "artist" does not lend itself to the high and low measurements of capitalism. Fame is an illusion built of the same stuff as money and time-which are as real as you allow them to be. Both are just as malleable, controllable and however at times volatile, because they are essentially illusions.

My point of this post, though maybe not constructive, is - contemplative. Sometimes, waiting IS the hardest part. There is a very long line of people that made it big well into their thirties, (although many are not marketed as such), and every persons path is different.

So when you feel like you're waiting. Just you wait : )

1 comment: