Monday, February 15, 2010

My Valentines Day Story














Yesterday was February 14th. VALENTINES DAY. I must confess I love Valentines Day if for no other reason than - it’s pretty. Everyone’s carrying red roses and couples are ogling each other through restaurant windows. It’s all red and pink, hearts and flowers- which I much prefer to the  Santa Clauses and reindeer of December. Also, it’s ONE DAY. If one day sucks, that’s not so bad, but the Christmas season seems to last forever and by the time it’s over your broke and hungover and let’s face it New Years is often a let down.
This Valentines Day I was single. I don’t especially appreciate a holiday focused on romance at this point in my life, but eh, I figured it shouldn’t bother me. I’m very happy, my life is full. I went to the gym, ran it off, and of course headed to Lilly Coogan’s where my best friend bar tends (1st Ave at 6th St.) It’s always full of singer songwriters on Sunday nights for open mic. I borrowed a guitar, drank a gin and tonic and got on stage. 
Maybe it was the gin, maybe it was all the roses I saw but did not receive, but I began my song and felt myself unfocused. I did what you NEVER DO. I stopped. Half way through.
I announced to the silent room, “You know what this sucks. I am the only girl I know that didn’t get any flowers today or a date or anything, so I’m playing another song about a guy that was in prison.”
I proceeded to play “Levi” when a boy comes through the doors and places a bouquet of a dozen roses on the stage. Swoon. Now that’s what Valentines Day is about : )


No comments:

Post a Comment